Sunday, March 12, 2017

Science Saturdays



    It was the Saturday morning of Spring Break. I finally had the opportunity to sleep in and get a well needed break from the stresses of college. My deep sleep was rudely interrupted at 9 am sharp by a bright blue-eyed blonde haired girl who decided it was time to wake up! My 5 year old sister, Alyssa jumped on me yelling, "MEGANNE ITS TIME TO WAKE UP ! TODAY IS SCIENCE SATURDAY!"
         Ah, Science Saturday the most wonderful Saturday of the year. I had the luck of coming home every weekend that it was Science Saturday at our local library. A little before 9:50 AM I piled my sister, Alyssa and my 7 year old brother Jacob to the car. They were brimming with excitement. As we drove to our destination I began to grill them about school. Alyssa was now in Kindergarten and Jacob was in first grade. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that they were growing up so fast. 
     "So Jacob and Alyssa, how is school?"
            "Good."
    "What's your favorite subject Alyssa?"
          "Ummm I don't know"
     "Jacob?"
           "I'm really good at math, but are we there yet?"

That was the end of our conversation. As much as I wanted to learn more about their school day, the last thing they wanted to do was talk about school on a Saturday morning. Once we got to the library, we walked into a big room where they held all the Science Saturdays. A woman dressed in a lab coat warmly greeted us.
   "Hello I'm Barbara! Grab a carpet square and sit on the floor please."
Jacob excitedly grabbed a carpet square and sat down as fast as he could and Alyssa was a little more timid, but she eventually sat down.
    Barbara chimed, "And Parents can sit on the chair on the side."
I wondered if this was just a general statement, or did she really think I was the mother of a five and seven year old? Brushing it off I quickly sat down. More kids and their parents filed in even at 10:20, although it officially started at 10:00.
   They topic of the day was Space: The Great Frontier. They learned about the planets and stars and she taught them about Supernovas. A Supernova is what happens when a star dies and explodes. All the children were so curious and so engaged. One little girl raised her hand nice and high. Barbara exclaimed, "Do you have a question?"
     The little girl responded, "No, but I need to tell you something. DID YOU know that Jupiter has a huge storm that has lasted over ONE THOUSAND YEARS!"
   She was so excited to relay her knowledge and Scientist Barbara just brushed her off, and continued her monologue about supernovas and the rules for the activity.
At this point I was getting a little annoyed with Barbara but I let it slide. The children ran to the table to start their first activity. Each child had a cup filled with water and dish soap and a straw. The instructions were to take the straw and stir the cup and then put the straw against the table and blow until you created a huge bubble that exploded, hence when it explodes, it resembles a Supernova.
   Unfortunatley, Jacob didn't quite understand the directions, and honestly I didn't understand the directions all that well either. Barbara used her words to explain the activity, but she did not use a physical example to show the kids how to do it. Next thing I know Barbara is yelling,
   "Who's child is this??" Pointing at Jacob. "He's going to get bubbles in his mouth, he needs help."
I quickly ran over, and instead of blowing bubbles on the table, Jacob blew his straw into the cup, until he had an overflowing mountain of bubbles. I showed Jacob what I thought was the correct way to do it.
   " Here, you take the straw, and stir and then you put the straw on the table and blow slowly."
 I did it once to show him, and his face lit up!
    "WOAH! That was SO cool!!" he exclaimed.
 I chucked and helped him for a few supernovas until he got a good handle on it. I then heard Barbara exclaim, "Oh look, he's doing it the right way now."
    I was kind of offended by Barbara's attitude. Her instructions weren't clear and she was acting as if Jacob was a very incompetent toddler. Yes, he is the small and the same size as Alyssa, but he is a first grader and very smart. And no, I'm not just saying that because I am his sister, he is very intelligent for a seven year old, especially in math. There were other kids sitting at the table that didn't quite understand Barbara's instructions either and who needed help, and I couldn't help but wonder if she could have handled the whole entire situation differently. Yes she was a scientist, but I wondered if she had used smaller words or talked slower, or even showed a demonstration, then maybe Jacob wouldn't have gotten bubbles in his nose.
    I wondered what would happen if there was an ELL student at Science Saturday, would he get bubbles in his nose too?


Jacob and Alyssa at their first Science Saturday circa 2017



1 comment:

  1. FUN! I am struck by the contrasting image of your siblings and of the picture of school children in your presious post.

    ReplyDelete